In 1263, the Chamber of "Merchant Lawyers" was formed as the first organization supporting Iranian merchants. This institution was later renamed to Chamber of Commerce. Historians of the history of Iran's economy believe that the basis of all trade and specialized activities of the country's commercial sector was formed from this institution.
This modern economic institution was founded by Haj Mohammad Hossein Amin al-Zarb and continued to work under the same name until 1305. On October 16 of the same year, this organization was renamed to "Tehran Chamber of Commerce" and was registered for the first time in the list of organizations of the Ministry of Commerce. During this period, Haj Amin Esfahani was the head of the Tehran Chamber of Commerce and Haj Mirza Abutaleb Islamia. Mirza Abdul Hossein Nikpour, Faqih al-Tajjar, Mr. Mirza Ali Mahluji and Mr. Sheikh Hossein Hariri formed its delegation. Haj Amin Esfahani was the head of the chamber until 1311. In the next election of the chamber, Haj Hossein Mahdavi assumed the presidency of the chamber. However, the presence of Haj Hossein Mahdavi did not last more than one year and then Abdul Hossein Nikpour was elected as the head of the Chamber of Commerce from 1313 to 1335. During Nikpour's presidency, the Chamber of Commerce changed its name once again, and based on international custom, the title "Chamber of Commerce" was chosen for it.
The Chamber of Commerce was only supporting the country's commercial body, and on this basis, some time ago, the country's industries also established an institution called the Chamber of Industries and Mines. In 1336, the draft plan of this new chamber was presented to the parliament several times, but Senator Nikpur, as the head of the Chamber of Commerce, who considered the formation of this chamber as a factor in weakening his institution, opposed it.
However, in 1340, a number of industrial owners put pressure on the government to form the Chamber of Industries and Mines. Finally, in November 1341, the Chamber of Industries and Mines was formed with the membership of a delegation of 30 factory owners and miners of the country. Nevertheless, the Law of the Chamber of Industries and Mines was officially approved by the Parliament in 1343.
In March 2018, it was decided to merge the two rooms to prevent more parallel work. In the Chambers Merger Law, 72 representatives of Iran Chamber were expected, 35 representatives of the Tehran branch, 20 representatives of the city branches and 17 representatives of the union of producers, exporters and importers affiliated to the chamber. The Tehran Chamber of Commerce, Industries, Mines and Agriculture continued to work with the same routine until the early days of the revolution and played an effective role in the processes of approving and implementing laws and even developing development plans.
With the victory of the revolution, the Chamber of Iran emerged as an institution that needed extensive changes in its governing body. In 1357, immediately after the victory of the revolution, a delegation took over the administration of the affairs of the Iranian Chamber by order of the Imam (RA). These delegations were: Haj Agha Tarkhani, Mr. Engineer Seyed Alineqi Khamishi, Mr. Asadullah Asgrawaladi, Mr. Mir Mohammad Sadeghi, Mr. Mirfenderski, Mr. Mohammad Ali Navid and Mr. Abolfazl Ahmadi.
In the first election that took place after the mission of the elected committee of the Imam in the chamber, Seyyed Ali Naghi Khamoshi was elected to the position of the head of the Iran Chamber and the head of the Tehran Chamber. He held this position until 1386 and after him Mohammad Nahavandian, Gholamhossein Shafi and Mohsen Jalalpour (1395) were elected as presidents of the Iran Chamber.
Also, during the past years, Mohammad Reza Behzadian, Mohammad Nahavandian, Yahya El Ishaq and Masoud Khansari have been the presidents of the Tehran Chamber.